LVAF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURFACE Exhibition at WYPW

Go down

SURFACE Exhibition at WYPW Empty SURFACE Exhibition at WYPW

Post  WYPrintWorkshop Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:21 am

SURFACE Exhibition at WYPW 269366_284670011631904_697284668_n

Surface is an exciting collection of work being produced by contemporary textile artists and printmakers. The selection of work looks at the interaction of colour and pattern , against varied textile surfaces.

Exhibition runs from the 16th of June to the 14th July

Artists include:

Caroline Dunn
Caroline discovered textiles by one of those wonderful and unexpected chances that change lives. A PhD student, in a new city, knowing no-one, she wanted an undemanding hobby to offset hours working alone in the university library. She found an embroidery class, which she thought would fit the bill perfectly, and signed up! This undemanding hobby became a passion and five years later her PhD thesis was written up whilst on the first year of an HND in Textiles. She later did an MA in Contemporary Applied Arts and her textile practice is now an essential part of her life.

She uses mixed media techniques – painting and dyeing fabrics; collage, appliqué and machine embroidery to create works reflecting her interest in the natural world of landscapes and the birds which inhabit them, and also the more stylized world of medieval arts and crafts. Her interests are eclectic and she finds the medium of textiles ideal for exploring them.

www.carolinedunn.com

----------------------------------------------

Jane Foster
Jane is an illustrator living in Totnes, Devon. Jane's two main passions are screen printing and collecting vintage fabrics. 'My screen prints start off as ink drawings which are then added to screens for printing. I enjoy the process of drawing free hand and love combining my screen printing with vintage fabrics. My clients include Habitat, The Art Group and Clothkits. I've had many cards and prints published and I sell my work through my own various websites and also to galleries across the UK'.

Jane works from her studio at home and is inspired by bold, bright happy designs, especially from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Jane has a collection of Scandinavian ceramics and also enjoys collecting pieces of furniture from the 60s.

www.janefoster.co.uk

Tabitha Stewart
Tabitha has a background in patchwork, quilting and applique. She has spent the last ten years making one off commissions for people using images that had particular resonance for them and the recipients. Tabitha is currently undertaking an MA in textiles at Bath Spa University.

Tabitha loves colour, light and the joy of being alive. She also collects printed textiles. 'I have always tried to incorporate each of these elements within my work, I am really excited by the possibilities of marrying drawing with new technology and ancient techniques, and have loved the opportunity afforded by the MA course to research and develop my style in a new way'.

Some of the pieces within the SURFACE exhibition, explore the symbolism and meaning within events such as the Queens Diamond jubilee and the Olympics, to produce series of images that evoke the essence of these occasions.

Tabitha is currently working on a series that distils the pleasure of being by the sea in summer.

www.folksy.com/shops/SewTab

Faye Taylor

Inspired by nature and the built environment, Faye has her own brand called WEFT Bespoke Design. WEFT uses distinguished classic design with a modern twist to create individual and unique textile products. In essence, WEFT strives to go against the grain.

Fabrics used in the collections are mainly natural cottons and linens, designed and screen printed by myself with a focus on muted tones from a delicate colour palette. Other materials used include tweed and tartan wools for a more plush and opulent feel.

This autumn, the launch of the range Northern Soul evokes iconic architecture in the North of England – from the Corn Exchange in Leeds to Grey Street in Newcastle. This urban theme is complemented by the Countryside Collection of British wildlife.

All products are lovingly hand crafted in Yorkshire.

www.notonthehighstreet.com/weftbespokedesign
www.etsy.com/shop/weftbespokedesign

Miriam Trent
Miriam Trent is a Surface Pattern Designer and Printmaker living Leeds, West Yorkshire. After graduating in 2010 with an honours degree in Graphic Arts from Leeds Met University she started her own printed products and surface pattern design company Mintprint. Miriam also teaches printmaking workshops in and around West Yorkshire, and loves to spread the Printmaking bug around!

Miriam’s surface patterns and print designs concentrate on good colour, shape and form. References to the decorative arts from the 1920’s until the 1970’s can be seen in her work. Her stylish, contemporary art prints (monotype, linocut prints and screenprints) function to decorate walls, in home interiors and commercial premises. Miriam also has a range of printed stationery and kitchen textiles under her brand Mintprint and a portfolio of Surface Pattern design.

Miriam works as a part-time Print Technician at Leeds College of Art and is a member of the West Yorkshire Print Workshop.

She was a joint winner of the Flourish Award for excellence in printmaking 2011.

www.mintprint.org

Fiona Wilson
Fiona works with textiles, primarily screen printing and stitch. She studied for a degree in Surface Design and Textiles and is currrently working towards an MA in Textiles at Manchester Metrpolitan Univeristy.

Fiona's studio is located at Radiant Works, which is in Huddersfield Town Centre, aprox 5 mins walk from the train station, where
she creates pieces for exhibitions and also provides private workshops for adults. Fiona also teaches on various textiles courses in colleges and universities.

Layering fabrics, bonding them, stitching them together and creating textures in the surface by altering the structure of the fabric are techniques that Fiona particularly enjoys.

www.fiona-wilson.blogspot.com

Telephone/fax: 01924 497646
Email: info@wypw.org

Address:
West Yorkshire Print Workshop, 75A Huddersfield Road, Mirfield, WF14 8AT

Gallery Opening Times:
Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday: 10.30am - 6pm, and Saturday 10.30am - 3.00pm

WYPrintWorkshop

Back to top Go down