LVAF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Commercial Art space in Leeds

2 posters

Go down

Commercial Art space in Leeds Empty Commercial Art space in Leeds

Post  Admin Fri May 21, 2010 2:56 am

At the Visual Arts Framework discussion event last month a group formed to talk about the potential for commercial gallery space in Leeds. They discussed..

There is an identifiable lack in Leeds of both commercial spaces and commercial culture for visual art. Currently there is not a culture in Leeds that connects us to commerce. There is a need to address why can’t commercial galleries work in Leeds and ultimately open one up.

Action Points in the interim:

1. Existing spaces in Leeds (PSL, Leeds Met, ESA) could come together with Contemporary Arts Society to create an event that brings together buyers, collectors etc even without dedicated space.

2. Artists are currently working for nothing; this work should be recognised, we should be able to pay people more.

3. There is an issue with student retention. We need to create more opportunities for artists to exhibit and more opportunities for them to exhibit in a commercial environment.

What do you think about the idea of commercial gallery space in Leeds?

Admin
Admin

https://lvaf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Commercial Art space in Leeds Empty Re: Commercial Art space in Leeds

Post  gss Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:20 am

I think it would be fantastic. I'm sure there is a lot of talent in Leeds that would appreciate having a viable space (in the city center preferably) to help promote and sell their work.

Lets face it there's always a plenty of dead shop space at the moment.

I'm looking into options at the moment as I operate in Leeds as an artist and have done for the last twenty odd years. Most of my sales are through the internet these days but I would love somewhere in the city with enough clout to put own work into which could help generate sales and get the works known to a wider audience. The city really needs some individuality and something like this could help bring in new visitors.

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to drop me a line via my site

w w w . g l a s s s i r e n . c o . u k

gss

Back to top Go down