LVAF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exhibition launch, Nudrat Afza - The Salon at Gallery II, The University of Bradford

Go down

Exhibition launch, Nudrat Afza - The Salon at Gallery II, The University of Bradford Empty Exhibition launch, Nudrat Afza - The Salon at Gallery II, The University of Bradford

Post  braduniarts Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:08 am

Nudrat Afza | THE SALON | Gallery II
Exhibition Launch 4.30–6.30pm, Thursday 27 September 2012

Exhibition launch, Nudrat Afza - The Salon at Gallery II, The University of Bradford CRW_6158smaller-620x413

Exhibition runs: 27 September – 16 November 2012

I have known the Kenmore Salon on Toller Lane since I was a teenager growing up in Manningham. I used to pass it every day on the bus to school and I can remember one day seeing the owner, Ken, standing outside his newly modernised premises.

Last year, guessing the owner would be approaching retirement, I decided to find a way to go into the salon as a photographer, as I was curious to know what was happening. So I made an appointment for my daughter to have her hair cut there.

My first impression of the salon inside was that it was a particularly fine example of late modern décor from the late seventies and early eighties. I asked the hairdresser if anyone had ever photographed the salon and when he said no, I asked if I could. He seemed surprised but agreed. I learned that Ken was planning to sell the business when he retired and with his consent, I decided to photograph the last year of the salon.

As the work has progressed, not only have I had the chance to acknowledge the hairdresser’s skill and expertise, I have also got to know most of his clients – over a hundred of them by now. This body of work has become a record of a particular place and passing era.

I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to get to know Ken and his clientele. They have been truly inspirational for me.
Nudrat Afza

[www.bradford.ac.uk/gallery]

braduniarts

Back to top Go down