LVAF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Artists not just talking to Artists

4 posters

Go down

Artists not just talking to Artists Empty Artists not just talking to Artists

Post  AmeliaCrouch Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:12 pm

This new forum is a fab idea because I agree artists need to talk more to artists. But in addition to getting more discussion and debate within the arts community in Leeds, I think venues and events need to be more outward facing to involve people who are not artists or working in related fields themselves.

As suggested in other posts, links between artists and musicians is one good way to do this, or arts and film. I know there's an arts and science project with an exhibition happening soon <http://www.hybrid-art.co.uk/>. But what about the interested individual who may not know where to go for info or who feels a bit threatened to come on their own to what might seem like a weird, scary art space? The Art Walk <www.leedsartwalk.wordpress.com> was partially set up as an attempt to do this and visits one off exhibitions alongside more established venues but it's fairly limited in scope. I guess Light Night is the ultimate winner here, succeeding in enthusing a wide range of people to come out and about to see creative works. Unfortunately it's only once a year!

I think we need a night once a month where all the venues open late and there are other associated, fun events leading you around the city.

As a side point, I wonder if the art scene got more reflective and confident about debate and criticality it would also be easier to involve non-artists...to take the pitches from the punters as it were. Or rather to have intelligent discussion that isn't on what can be a patronising level of the artist - who's 'in the know' - trying to tell the outsider - who isn't - what the art's all about. Expertise are a great thing but so are external or alternative perspectives.

AmeliaCrouch

Back to top Go down

Artists not just talking to Artists Empty Re: Artists not just talking to Artists

Post  andyabbott Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:01 am

Hi Amelia,

I agree with loads of that; it's always a good thing for artists to try and be more outward facing and I think things like the Art Walk and Light Night (and Situation Leeds?) have built a good foundation for that. I guess hopefully the Art in Unusual Spaces initiative would build on that too. A monthly night would be fantastic - I've heard a few people including Pippa, Zoe and Lucy Gibson talking about the 3rd Thursday (or whatever its called in London) at various points and how that would be a good thing to try in Leeds.

I have found from my own practice and our experiences with Black Dogs that Leeds as a city already suggests/demands a practice that engages with a non gallery-going or Artworld audience; mainly because of the (perceived) lack of an art-buying or conventional gallery going public! It's been interesting how people have responded to projects like the Tower Walks we did with BDs and the Festival of Pastimes and the conversations we have to have with ourselves about whether we let on that it's art (or that we are artists) or whether that will just confuse matters!

I guess it could be said there is a lack of 'public understanding' in Leeds about what art is and how easy it is to engage in and, even, what its for - but then perhaps that's not such a bad position to be in at the moment. At least we have a public that is less cynical than those who have already seen how 'public' art and biennali's are used as a front for gentrification and economic growth often at the cost of the character and identity of a city. Perhaps with the right approach Leeds artists and artworkers could build up a more trusting and authentic relationship with the non-artist 'public'?

andyabbott

Back to top Go down

Artists not just talking to Artists Empty Re: Artists not just talking to Artists

Post  colhodg Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:08 am

The live music scene in leeds has exploded in the past 10 years and there is definitely an opportunity there to exploit people's willingness to see new and engaging things, people are generally only engaged with the music for a minority of the time they are there. The question i guess is what formats of visual art can work hand in hand with music. I can see this being one situation where video artists (esp those with access to prjection equipment) have a real opportunity to make an impact.

Example (appologies if lame) projected photo's of jazz greats at Hifi club - in context, adds to atmosphere of the place, makes night more memorable, sets scene plus there is an existing and possibly interested audience.

Dunno if it's me but remember a lot more of this sort of thing in times past - is it a case of music and art fragmenting or more that back in the day creative types were in more of a niche and had to band together a bit more?

colhodg

Back to top Go down

Post  Louise Atkinson Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:51 am

Very interested in the ideas here about opening up spaces later in the day. I think it's maybe cultural but there's something refreshing about cities in Europe with late craft markets, etc. I guess the German market has that kind of feel. Just find it a bit depressing whenthe only thing to do after 5pm involves drinking and probably doesn't do much for Leeds reputation as the city purely for shopping and clubbing.

On a brighter note, I've been getting involved with the Leeds Psychogeography group, Make PLa(y)ce and Leeds Urban Playground which are all initiatives about exploring public spaces in new ways and (perhaps) reinventing them from their original purpose. Groups can be found on Facebook if you're that way inclined Smile

Louise Atkinson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down