LVAF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A decent place to hang out

3 posters

Go down

A decent place to hang out Empty A decent place to hang out

Post  LucyB Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:16 am

I often think that what is missing from Leeds is a decent place to hang out, basically I mean a pub, in the city centre, where you know you will bump into other art-minded/interested folks, whatever time or day you happen to be calling by - and therefore be able to find flyers and info about what is going on. Music-wise there are plenty of places, and you know you can always head to the Brudenell Social Club for music and chat and all things DIY in the music scene but where can you go for art? I think it is a real shame the art college doesn't have a good union bar as this would be the natural starting point. Does Nation of Shopkeepers fit the bill? The Vic? I wonder....

Last edited by Admin on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : deserved its own topic!)

LucyB

Back to top Go down

A decent place to hang out Empty Re: A decent place to hang out

Post  andyabbott Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:45 am

Yeah, there's been a lot of talk recently within Black Dogs and with others about moving beyond Leeds' 'nomadic' condition. As fun as it is to have to have meetings in different places all the time, and of the radical potential of a decentralised structure/network it is quite difficult to 'accumulate' or build on previous gains. Also, as Amelia has mentioned in another post, it makes for a potentially impenetrable or alienating scene - if you can't see and identify it then how can you join-in or comment on it? Maybe a physical space/place would help in addressing that.

I suppose a lot of the bars and pubs that might get adopted by artists to hang out in eventually become too popular to be identified as purely 'arty' places to hang out - I'm thinking of North Bar or the Reliance, maybe there's others that have followed a similar pattern. I suppose that just mirrors the movement of art as the avant-garde for gentrification but at a boozing level!

Maybe we could do with a self-identified 'art bar' to create or colonize! I don't think that would mean it would have to be 'for artists only' of course but a bit of coordinated hanging out might help retain a place where 'chance encounters' with like-minded folk might be more frequent. What would such a place need and what would it's qualities be? Mine would include,

a) cheap booze

b) decent selection of non-booze (i.e teas, coffees, juices etc)

c) quiet places with large tables for informal meetings

d) weird music

e) weird food

f) function room for presentations and/or performances

g) wifi

h) town centre location and/or close to train station

andyabbott

Back to top Go down

Post  cat Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:16 am

I think that you have just discribed The Grove, with the exception of weird food, I think that they just do fried heart attack meals, but good chilli and chips.

But, it has great beer, great atmosphere, its just far enough out of town to be easily walkable. The people are very friendly and they have the strangest folk night that I have ever been to, very wickerman!

I hate Leeds bars, they suck the creativity out of you as fast as your money.

cat

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnofriendly Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:36 am

Even a quirky coffee shop would be a refreshing place to stop by!

johnnofriendly

http://www.art-reproductions.net

Back to top Go down

Post  FlissG Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 am

I'm a graphic designer in Leeds and I've always thought that the main problem with Leeds is there's no place for creative people to hang out, like a community. I had one thought recently about setting up a cafe bar that was like an arts hub, but couldn't do it alone. I'm interested that other people think that this kind of place is needed because that's exactly what I thought! Maybe something to seriously consider then?

FlissG

Back to top Go down

A decent place to hang out Empty Full Circle Design Emporium

Post  Laura Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 am

I went down to the opening of Full Circle last night and I was really impressed - looks like it could be a good place to hang out with like-minded creatives. It's a little bit out of the way but only a short walk from town on Aire Place just off Kirkstall Road.

Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down